BioSolve Pinkwater is a proprietary blend of mostly non-ionic surfactants and performance additives. Pinkwater is only sold as a concentrate.
Pinkwater is always applied as a dilute solution, generally between 2% to 6%
Pinkwater solution emulsifies hydrocarbons
(1) Hydrocarbon are immiscible (won’t mix) in water. When combined, they quickly separate.
(2) Before agitation, Pinkwater solution and diesel will remain in separate phases
(3) After agitation, a stable “oil in water emulsion” is formed. In this form, the diesel will flow like water and can be easily removed from hard surfaces and extracted from the subsurface.
Pinkwater’s surfactant molecules are strongly attracted to both water and oil.
The surfactants in BioSolve Pinkwater are strongly ATTRACTED to BOTH oil and water!
This MUTUAL attraction allows oil and water to mix!
Lipophilic (oil loving) Tail Hydrophilic (water loving) head
The molecule head seeks full contact with water; the tail seeks full contact with the hydrocarbon.
In the presence of agitation, these opposing attractions disaggregate massive hydrocarbon globules into microscopic droplets and cover them in a thin layer of surfactant and water.
These water/surfactant encapsulated hydrocarbon droplets are called MICELLES.
Surfactant micelles form a stable “macro-emulsion”
Aqueous encapsulation of hydrocarbons provides three key benefits for remediation.
1. Reduced Volatility
- Makes fuel spills non-flammable
- Suppresses VOC emissions at remediation sites
- Reduces LELs during tank cleaning
- Controls organic odors at excavation sites, water treatment plants and more
2. Increased Solubility
- Enables extraction of hydrocarbons from the soil
- Removes spills from roadways with no slick spots
- Efficiently removes oil and grease from hard surfaces
- Controls paraffin build-up in oil wells
3. Improved Bioavailability
- Accelerates natural biodegradation processes
Pinkwater will emulsify a wide range of hydrocarbons
|Pinkwater is Very Effective
||Pinkwater Works with
|Pinkwater Will NOT Work
- Diesel Fuel
- Heating Oil
- Jet Fuel/Kerosene
- Light crude oil
- Natural Gas Condensate
- Light oils
- Mineral Spirits
- Hydraulic Fluid
- and others…
- Motor oils
- #4 - #6 Heating Oil
- Medium to Heavy Crude
- Palm Oil, Corn Oil
- Linseed Oil
- Bitumen (tar)
- Other heavy, viscous or weathered products
- Lower alcohols (Methanol, ethanol, isopropyl alcohol)
- Most acids and alkalis
- Ammonia and ammonia compounds
- Nitrates, sulfates
- Ethylene glycol
- Other water soluble products
For concerns regarding specific contaminates, please call The BioSolve Company
*Extra Effort may include, for example, additional agitation, pressure or mixing; circulation system to allow extended contact; the use of a cosolvent or hot water to reduce viscosity